Educational Layout, Samonda, Oyo Road, Ibadan Nigeria
JOB OPENING: POST OF VICE-CHANCELLOR
Work Title: Vice-Chancellor
Organization: The Dominican University, Ibadan, Nigeria, a newly established Private University founded by the Order of Preachers in Nigeria.
Benefit Status: Flexible/Negotiable
Months Per Year: 12 Months
Proposed Start Date: September 2017
The Vice-Chancellor serves as the Academic and Administrative Head of the University. As Chief Executive, the Vice Chancellor exercises general academic supervision over the University and shall be responsible for maintaining and promoting the efficiency and good order of the University. The Vice Chancellor shall be responsible to the Governing Council in the management of human, monetary and other resources of the University and shall ensure that the University complies with terms and conditions specified by the Council for the use of funds.
As Academic Head of the University, the Vice Chancellor supports, guides, and coordinates the academic and research units and their support system in ways that foster the Dominican University’s mission and goals. The Vice-Chancellor ensures that the provisions of the Law, the statutes and regulations of the University are observed.
The office of the Vice-Chancellor serves as the nerve center of activities in areas of protocol, external relations and coordination of various internal organs of the University. The Vice-Chancellor, in the absence of the Chancellor, presides over Convocation ceremonies for the conferment of degrees, diplomas, certificates and other awards of the University.
The person to be appointed to this position will hold office for a term of five years.
- The ideal candidate for the position of Vice-Chancellor shall possess the following qualifications and characteristics:
- A Doctorate Degree and be a full Professor of, normally, not less than Ten (10) years standing, with ability to provide academic and administrative leadership for the University community. However, candidates with substantial experience at the professorial level, who have held senior academic and administrative positions, sufficient as to prepare him/her for the position of Vice-Chancellor, would be considered.
- The need to innovate and reinvent frameworks, academic disciplines, programs, holistic and coherent platform to provide the appropriate enabling environment for the development a new human resource pool that is equipped with the appropriate world view and capacities to produce sustainable solutions to the challenges of today’s world is a central element of Dominican University. The capacity and commitment to implement this core mission is non-negotiable.
- A previous leadership role in any tertiary institution that vouches for this level of competence described above.
- Commitment to inclusive and collaborative leadership manifest in gender sensitivity and readiness to work with persons of diverse ethnic and religious affiliations.
- Successful leadership and managerial experience, particularly experience in strategic planning and managing of faculty and allocating financial and human capital.
- Demonstrated ability to promote research excellence in different domains and build synergy and complementarity among these disciplines and researcher to facilitate, foster and sustain an inclusive learning environment.
- A proven track record of academic excellence such as to be able to command the respect of national and international academic communities and colleagues.
- A clear vision for the further development of the University and the realization of its vision, mission and strategic goals.
- Have a demonstrable ability to establish and maintain partnerships with local, national and international governmental and non-governmental agencies and organizations.
- A proven and demonstrable ability to attract international research and development grants.
- Exhibit entrepreneurial drive and ability to attract extra-statutory funds and mobilise other resources for the development of the University.
- Personal integrity in the management of funds and be able to deploy financial resources as appropriate in the context of the University’s Strategic Plan, 2017 -2020.
- The ability to attract, motivate and retain highly skilled and talented staff in all categories, teaching and non-teaching.
- Interpersonal and team building skills and possess the ability to build bridges between staff, students, other members of the university community and the university’s stakeholders.
- Respectable level of ICT literacy.
(1) A Professor;
(2) Reputable stature in the national and international academic community.
All application materials should be received not later than 2nd June, 2017. Applications received after this date will not be reviewed. A complete application package includes the following:
(1) The candidate’s Statement of Vision for the University for the next five years and beyond. The statement must not be longer than 5,000 words.
(2) Curriculum Vitae with 3 names of contact persons for reference
(3) A Writing sample
Send all materials to firstname.lastname@example.org