Are you seeking a challenging career in a rewarding environment? If yes, this is an opportunity to join Oxfam 12 months full time with a possibility to extend
All positions are based in Abuja, Nigeria (with possible travel to the North East)
Position: Security Advisor CI – National
Are you committed to providing a positive impression with first class — best in class — service? Reporting to the Country Director on safety and security related issues, the job holder will ensure that Country Security Management Plan as well as Standard Operating procedures is developed, implemented, monitored and reviewed regularly. The position is based on the need to build and sustain long-term safety and security risk reduction capacity within the Oxfam’s programmes in Nigeria.
Key Responsibilities and Accountabilities
- Report, analyse and communicate current socio-political context and the security situation and the wider context (country, region, global trends as applicable).
- Develop an incident reporting system and ensuring that the incident register is updated regularly.
- Conduct ongoing monitoring and analysis of the socio-political context threat and compile daily/weekly/monthly security analysis and situation reports.
Security Management and Support
- Design/ update reliable safety and Security Management System/Standard Operating Plans/Contingency Plans Manage the implementation of a comprehensive security and business continuity management system taking cognisance of the evolution of situations.
- Support in planning and implementing risks mitigation strategies (acceptance, deterrence, protection) to improve safety and security.
- Provide crisis management support (evacuation and hibernation) as required.
- Build and maintain close contacts with all relevant stakeholders to gather reliable security related information, facilitate the sharing of best practices and the adoption of an integrated approach where possible.
- Attends security & emergency related briefings and meetings and share security related information accordingly.
- Interfaces with, and coordinates the support of, third party security and risk management service providers.
- Ensures that there is system in place to enhance security skills and awareness that are required for effectiveness especially in areas of accident prevention, safety, health and occupational hazards by planning and facilitate appropriate learning and development opportunities.
Educational, Experience & Competence Essential
- Relevant Bachelor’s degree in Security Management, Risk Management, Strategic Studies, International Relations or Emergency Management. (General Management studies also considered. 8 – 10 years’ INGO/UN safety or Global role in large multinational organization
- Proven risks management, leadership experience of security assessment, planning and implementation of procedures in the context of UN or NGO humanitarian operations.
- Experience in liaising with communities, civilians, police and/or military government authorities as well as with regional institutions preferred.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, together with the capacity to remain calm under pressure and not lose sight of strategic priorities.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently with ability to work in a systematic and organized manner with good attention to accuracy and details.
- Sensitivity to cultural differences and the ability to work with a diverse set of staff at different levels within the organisation
- Strong report writing, analytical skills with good usage of computers and office software packages (Ms. Word, Excel, etc.)
- Willingness to travel at short notice, and often in difficult circumstances.
Essential Competence for the position:
- Commitment to Oxfam’s overall aims and policies and experience of promoting women’s rights and the interests of marginalized people in all aspects of Oxfam’s work
- Knowledge or appreciation of Nigeria in terms of its political economic and social trends plus a good understanding of the key development and humanitarian issues in the region.
- Excellent communication skills (oral and written) and report writing skills. Good analytical skills and experience using a computerised information management system (Ms. Word, Excel, Accounting/work related software etc.)
Knowledge and / or experience of common Oxfam norms objects, standards and tools
What we offer
Oxfam (Novib) is committed to providing you with a competitive, fair, and comprehensive pay and benefits package that is justifiable to our donors.
Candidates interested in any of these positions should please email an application letter and Curriculum Vitae as one word or pdf attachment to firstname.lastname@example.org with the position title as the subject of the email before COB Friday 16th June 2017. For more information please send an email to email@example.com
Interested candidates are encouraged to apply immediately as suitable candidates may be shortlisted and interviewed prior to closing date. Only applications sent in the required format will be considered.