THE WORLD BANK
Position: Senior Procurement Specialist
3 Years Term Appointment Location: Ahuja, Nigeria
The Africa unit of SIP Department of GGP seeks to recruit a local Senior Procurement Specialist to be based in Abuja, Nigeria, to provide support for the Nigeria portfolio. This position is geared to assisting the World Bank staff, Nigerian Government and other agencies in implementing World Bank-financed programs by providing critical procurement advice and support. The ideal candidate shall combine a deep understanding of project procurement in different sectors with a considerable knowledge of the budget execution issues in developing countries. S/he will have demonstrated operational and analytic skills and will possess strong knowledge and understanding of project procurement management. Fluency in English is required. Knowledge and working experience with design and implementation of e-Government Procurement Systems and Supply Chain Management will be an added advantage.
The Senior Procurement Specialist will:
- Help implement and further develop SIP activities in Nigeria with regard to Public Procurement;
- Work across countries/sectors; be responsible for reviewing and handling the technical, commercial and legal aspects of procurement at all stages of the project cycle, including analysis of systemic and other procurement issues, procurement planning, design, implementation and management, and training.
- Provide operational advice to clients and Bank staff on concepts, policies and procedures for international and local procurement;
- Participate in the country’s procurement assessment, prepare background analysts, collaborate on developing appropriate public procurement legislation and practices and tailor instrument to meet specific client needs;
- Negotiate and resolve difficult procurement issues with Borrower agencies and handle questions/complaints from senior officials and contractors on bidding and award issues;
- Master’s Degree or equivalent qualification relevant to this position and minimum of 8 years’ relevant experience in carrying out technical duties in procurement and contract management.
- State-of-the-art knowledge of public procurement principles, systems, process and planning, and approaches of international procurement, with proven ability to independently provide well researched analyses of complex procurement issues and problems.
- Seasoned knowledge and specialized command of all major facets of Bank procurement policies and practices as applied across a wide range of Bank lending operations at all phases of the project cycle, and ability to address broader issues at sector/country level.
- In-depth understanding of Bank operational policies and practices related to projects/sector work;
- Knowledge of developing country conditions generally and of procurement-related legislation, systems and practices;
- Good understanding of critical linkages and relationships among clients’ business drivers, business operations and objectives and Procurement processes;
For the full position description and complete selection criteria and required competencies, qualified candidates are requested to submit an on-line application at www.worldbank.org/careers. Click on > Current Job openings > Job Type > Professional & Technical > Job Family > Procurement > Job # 171245. The World Bank is committed to achieving diversity of gender, nationality, culture and educational background. Individuals with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. Closing date for receipt of applications is June 29, 2017. Only qualified candidates will be contacted.