Plan International is an independent child-centered international development and humanitarian organization striving for a just world that advances children’s rights and equality for girls. Plan has no religious, political and government affiliation. For over 80 years, we have supported girls and boys and their communities around the world to gain the skills, knowledge and confidence they need to claim their rights, free themselves from poverty and live positive fulfilling lives. Plan international currently works in 70 countries including Nigeria.
We are currently implementing the Kaduna State Peace Building Academy Project. Our objective is to, create and implement an integrated program of policy and accountability development, peace building promotion, stakeholder influencing and thought leadership to ensure maximum impact in promoting children’s rights and equality for girls.
We are looking for passionate, experienced and dedicated professionals for our programmes in Kaduna and Abuja.
Position: Project Officer
Department & Location Programmes
Reports to: Project Manager
Purpose: Support the Project Manager in the project management and technical work of the project. This includes managing the cohorts of Youth; Peace Academy (YPA) students as they attend YPA sessions and providing oversight and advice to graduating cohorts as they implement their peace building initiatives and community mobilisation.
Key End Results and typical Responsibilities
Programme developments & Quality Management
- Contribute to the development and implementation of training curricula, advocacy and community mobilization strategies, including IEC materials and radio messages to ensure service delivery issues are captured.
- Organize and monitor the training activities for the cohorts of YPA students using peace building history, skills, and concepts.
- Participate in program research processes in the project, including baseline and end line evaluations. Work to strengthen linkages between partners and community support structures,
- Regularly collect project level data, to track progress against planned service delivery outputs and outcomes, using R8M methodologies. ,
- Implement the project logistic processes at the different levels to ensure smooth running of project activities.
- Support Gender Advisor in identifying, disseminate and address gender barriers to VPA programming outcomes.
- Provide regular updates to supervisor and other project team members to inform project programming decision making and advocacy efforts.
- Ensure M and E processes are implemented to capture quality project data for reporting and decision making.
- Provide support to partner activities to ensure consistency with project objectives.
- Work with community based structures for successful implementation of community outreach services.
- Support regular advocacies to local stakeholders to improve and sustain project buy-in and operations.
- Support the establishment and maintenance of good working relationship with the relevant State actors, local government authorities and other stakeholders.
- Assume any other responsibility assigned by the Project Manager.
Administration and finance
- Support the Project Manager to ensure that all finance policies and procedures are adhered to.
- Participate in budget preparation and in ensuring spends and forecast are in line with plans.
- Support in the mobilisation of financial resources related to youth activities,
- Ensure that reliable communications/information management facilities are established and maintained.
- Ensure to use procedures and relevant protocols of Plan International Nigeria that are necessary in carrying out the project activities.
- Support the timely and appropriate use of all procurement and logistics infrastructure for the effective implementation of project activities.
Human Resource Development
- Supports the Country HR Manager in recruitments processes as required, strengthening administrative records, documentation and controls and builds capacity of partner and program staff.
Learning and Knowledge Management
- Shares relevant administrative and programmatic information with the Programme team and support the proper documentation of all transactions on the projects.
- Support resource mobilization efforts through contribution to budget preparation for proposal writing and related engagement.
Communications and Working Relationships:
- Working contacts inside and outside the organization: include the purpose and level (high, medium, low) of the contact
- Prepare and submit relevant administrative project reports for domestic consumption,
- Provide timely responses concerning administrative queries linked with relevant projects or programmes
- Report to the Project Manager;
- Work amicably with other members of the Plan International Nigeria team in Kaduna and Abuja to ensure effective and efficient programme delivery;
Knowledge, Skills and Behaviours Required to Achieve Role’s Objectives:
Qualifications and Experience
- Experience managing peace building youth leadership, or civil society strengthening projects in developing country contexts and preferably in Nigeria or ECOWAS states
- University education and over 3 years of experience in peace building, youth leadership, or civil society strengthening, or a related field and demonstrated experience in management of community-based projects
- A history of productive involvement with local partners, including from government, traditional leadership, and civil society
- Demonstrated expertise in and commitment to developing the leadership of young people
- Demonstrated expertise in designing, implementing, and monitoring inclusive, gender-equitable development programs
- Demonstrated knowledge and background in community mobilization and engagement
- Demonstrated problem solving skills, collaboration experience, creativity and willingness to innovate
- Experience drafting project reporting and monitoring project progress
- Excellent written and spoken English language skills
- Knowledge of Hausa language preferred but not required
Skills & Knowledge
- Basic financial and administrative skills
- Communicates clearly and effectively appropriate to the audience
- Possession of good report writing skills Passion for learning and development,
- Good computer literacy skills.
- Team player
Physical environment and Demands
(i) Travel to Programme activities to provide support where necessary.
Level of Contact with Children:
Low contact – the job responsibilities of this position require the post holder to have very infrequent contact with children. Despite this, it is expected that children shall be protected at all times.
If you are qualified for the above positions, respond by sending your applications and CV to Nigeria.Recruitment@Plan-international.org not later than 4th November 2017. Please note, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted