The Government of Nigeria with the assistance of the UNDP has secured funding through the Global Environment Facility (GEF) to implement a project that would foster sustainability and resilience in Nigeria agricultural production. The goal of the five-year project is to enhance long-term sustainability and resilience of food production systems in Nigeria, building greater community resilience to climate risks and other shocks that drive food insecurity. The project is hereby seeking for qualified individuals to be recruited into the following positions in the Project Management Unit (PMU
Position: Project Technical Advisor (Value Chain expert) (consultant)
Overall Function of the Position
- Under the supervision of the Project Manager, the TA will provide technical advice to implementing staff and others associated with the project to ensure the work is carried-out to high technical standards. The TA will work closely with the Staff from inter aha FMARD, LGs. States, university staff and contracted NGOs/ researchers / other consultants. The TA will be based in the project management unit and report to the Project Steering Committee.
Duties and Responsibilities
- The Technical Advisor (TA) will be working on a part-time/ad-hoc basis, closely with the GEF/UNDP Regional Technical Advisor and UNDP Nigeria Country Office Programme Specialist, providing services to the Project Manager. The TA will assist the Project Management Unit through technical advice. by-
- Advising on best suitable approaches and methodologies for achieving project targets and objectives;
- Conduct field visits as required to verify project activities relative to stated targets;
- Provide day-to-day technical advice to implementing staff, consultants and contractors: Providing quality assurance and technical review of project outputs (e.g. studies and assessments);
- Assisting in drafting terms of reference tor technical consultancies and supervision of consultant’s work, and through providing technical supervision of the outsourced work carried out under the project for timely and quality delivery of outputs;
- Providing assistance in monitoring the technical quality of the project M&E systems, as well as the annual work plan and indicators and targets in the log-frame:
- Assisting in knowledge management, communications and awareness raising initiatives under the project:
- Conducting periodical scheduled visits to the project sites;
- Providing advisory support for the Project Management Unit as and when required:
- Undertake any other activity that may be necessary for the effective management of the project.
- Ability to communicate effectively complex, technical information:
- Good management, coordination and organization skills to facilitate production of quality outputs in a timely manner. Ability to work both independently and collaboratively as a member of a team to produce quality outputs in a timely manner.
- Demonstrates integrity by modelling the UN’s values and ethical standards:
- Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UNDP;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability;
- Treats all people fairly without favouritism;
- Fulfils all obligations to gender sensitivity and zero tolerance few: sexual harassment.
Required Experience and Skill
- Advanced university degree (at least MSc. or equivalent) or Bachelor’s degree in geography, environmental science, environmental economics, natural resources, environmental management or another field relevant to the project.
Experience and Skills:
- At least 7 years of experience in a similar or related position:
- Extensive knowledge and understanding of livelihoods and agro-ecological issues, with special focus on dry lands farming systems and value chains;
- Understanding of smallholder farming issues and policy environments in Nigeria will be an added advantage;
- Strong interpersonal skills with ability to work under pressure and to establish and maintain effective work relationships with people of different national and cultural backgrounds;
- Ability to take initiative and to work independently, as well as pan of a team;
- Knowledge of the GEF and UNDP funded projects and their technical and operational requirements.
- Proficiency in English and local languages will be an advantage
Qualifications candidates should please kindly send in their applications and cover letter to email@example.com quoting the reference numbers of the position not later than 7th December 2017