JOB DESCRIPTION FOR SATELLITE LABORATORY SPECIALIST
Through a contract with the University of Maryland Baltimore (UMB) implements The Nigeria AIDS Indicator and Impact Survey (NAIIS). The NAIIS program assists Nigeria to implement household-based surveys for HIV/ AIDS, HepB & C and CD4 testing for population-based survey.
The NAIIS program seeks to fill a satellite Laboratory Specialist position to support the survey. The position is based at laboratories across the 36 states + FCT in Nigeria.
The satellite Laboratory specialist will be responsible for providing testing in the selected laboratory to measure the biomarkers for the National population-based surveys. Specific duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Overall specimen receipt verification, processing and storage as well as Lab operations of all NAIIS-related activities at the Satellite Laboratory
- Lead, coordinate and facilitate all activities related to specimen transfer and quality assurance
- Coordinate and facilitate the transport of specimens from the field to satellite/mobile laboratories
- Liaise with the field lab technician to ensure that field testing activities and transport of specimen from field to the satellite lab are conducted as per respective SOP
- Ensure blood samples are shipped from the satellite to the central laboratory in a timely manner to maintain specimen integrity.
- Ensure that lab staff receive and accession each specimen into a Laboratory Data Management System (LDMS) and process as per EPHIA standard operating procedure
- Monitor the entire quality system from Pre-examination, examination and post-examination which will include, occurrence management, daily/ weekly reviews of QC documentation, troubleshooting both equipment and QC failures
- Monitor and ensure optimal laboratory environmental conditions are maintained to ensure quality of data
- Supervise, coordinate and schedule laboratory technicians at satellite/mobile lab and ensure optimal human resource is at hand to accomplish NAIIS testing
- Assess and monitor competency of all satellite lab technicians to ensure quality of results.
- The satellite laboratory specialist position is a position that requires 100% commitment in the laboratory and will have shifts. It is expected that the laboratory specialist will demonstrate competence in Quality Management System (QMS), Laboratory Information Management system and Good Laboratory Practice.
- A medical laboratory scientist, medical laboratory technician, skilled in QMS and Data management.
- Experience in working on the laboratory bench for at least THREE years.
- Experience in HIV program; participation in proficiency testing is an advantage
- Experience with population survey will be an added advantage
- Required Skills:
- Experience performing Quality Assurance measures in all phases of biomedical testing
- Ability to write clear and concise summaries of reports for internal and external audiences
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Fluency in English required.
- Ability to work for long hours
- Ability to pay attention to details
- Ability to work with your hands and will need dexterity to work with small vials, test tubes, and delicate lab equipment.
- Ability to work as part of a team as well and cooperate with team members in the field.
- Ability to troubleshoot equipment and routine equipment maintenance.
- A systematic approach to tasks and the ability to follow instructions and set procedures
- A high level of flexibility in performing the responsibilities of the position,
- An indigene of the state or resident in the state.
DURATION: One Year with the possibility of renewal subject to the availability of funds.
HOW TO APPLY: Kindly fill the form on the link: https://goo.gl/forms/nvRjHCZdYUvqkuq52
CLOSING DATE: 19th March 2018