JOB VACANCY IN PUBLIC HEALTH
Nigeria’s Expanded Programme on Immunization (EPI) has achieved slow growth in coverage in the last few years, despite huge investments by governments and development partner agencies. The recent 2015/2016 Multi Indicators Cluster and National Immunization Coverage Surveys showed that Penta 3 and full immunization coverage were 33% and 23% respectively, implying that 6 in 10 children were not fully vaccinated with all life-saving vaccines in 2015 alone.
To achieve quick and sustainable equitable coverage, government and partners through a coordinated approach are rapidly rebranding and revamping the immunization program in the country by the establishment of the National and States Emergency Routine Immunization Coordination Centre (NERICC/SERICC). The emergency centres are saddled with the responsibility of planning, coordinating and ensuring the country’s national and states target coverage for routine immunization are achieved and unvaccinated kids are reached through innovative strategies within the shortest possible time. In order to manage the state Routine Immunization (RI) programmes, a Program Manager (PM) has been competitively recruited to lead the state immunization team, manage and ensure improved performance, consistency and accountability in the state routine immunization program. In these states, the PM coordinates the direct implementation and strategic execution of the strategies being implemented by SERICC and reports directly to the Executive Secretary/Chairman of the State Primary Health Care Development Agency/Board.
The EPI programme is seeking to engage the service of a Technical Assistant (TA) on Routine Immunization to support the four (4) SERICC states of Sokoto, Kano, Kaduna and Bauchi, to coordinate the design and implementation of the routine immunization programmes, innovation and strategies. The Technical Assistant (TA) to the State Emergency Routine Immunization Coordination Centre (SERICC) will help ensure that routine immunization coverage increases in the state overall and that lagging LGAs notice a transformational change in their coverage rates within the shortest possible time.
The TA shall function as a core member of the SERICC team, providing technical support in the strategic execution and achievement of SERICC goals and objectives and shall work with the Program Manager of SERICC. He/she will work with all the stakeholders in the immunization space including development partners and community structures to achieve transformational impact in increasing routine immunization (RI) coverage rates and improving equity by ensuring increases in under-served LGAs. This includes supporting the SERICC management of a robust mechanism for evaluations of RI program performance ensuring program goals are met.
The successful candidates must be able to function independently and flexibly as well as build strong relationships with government officials and partners at all levels. Additionally, the successful candidates will adhere to the key values and relevant codes as enshrined within the host state.
- The Technical Assistant (TA) will report to the Program Manager of National Emergency Routine Immunization Coordination Centre (NERICC) at NPHCDA.
- The TA position shall be contracted for two (2) years renewable term, and shall be subject to satisfactorily quarterly performance evaluation based to set indicators. Through a transparent and competitive recruitment process, selected individuals shall perform the following roles and responsibilities;
- TA shall be a key member of SERICC and attend meetings of the immunization technical working groups and other relevant meetings, updating the PM on issues pertaining to routine immunizations, SIAs, vaccine logistics and demand creation
- The TA shall support SERICC to maintain quality interactions with stakeholders supporting the immunization program including the LGA teams
- TA shall support and drive the SERICC team to spend considerable time in LGAs, especially those LGAs that are lagging in vaccination coverage rates, working with LGA staff and health workers to improve vaccination services. :
- TA shall Support the PM on administrative activities related to SERICC, including closely liaising with other relevant departments and programs in the SPHCDA to fast-track program implementation.
- Work closely with the Deputy PMs and other members of SERICC to ensure timely delivery and implementation of planned project activities.
- Provide technical and mentoring support to key SPHCDA staff within selected departments in the i design and implementation of routine immunization strategies specifically around project management, planning, budgeting, performance management processes, data collection and analysis, reporting and monitoring and evaluation.
- The TA as a key member on the SPHCDA immunization team, work in close coordination and collaboration with partner organizations and donors to resolve key immunization challenges and drive completion of identified quick-wins
- Adhere to the key values and relevant codes as enshrined within the host state
- Ensures alignment of Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) to Critical Success Factors (CSFs) working with SERICC team members to ensure that these objectives are realized
- Support relevant technical department in the SERICC to implement reforms in information technology, immunization data management procedures, and evaluation of intervention, to ensure that the objectives of SERICC are met.
- Function independently and flexibly as well as build strong relationships with government officials and partners at all levels.
- Any other tasks reasonably assigned to the TA by the PM SERICC, ES SPHCD A/SPHCMB and NERICC at NPHCDA.
- Public health or related degree with at least 5 years’ experience in immunization, public health and/or health system strengthening, demonstrable experience working with government and partner agencies at state levels
- In depth understanding of the state health system, its challenges particularly routine immunization program.
- Demonstrated capacity to effectively coordinate organizations with good expertise in navigating and strengthening relationships among government and development organizations.
- Strong managerial, problem solving skills and experience working under demanding work plans and tight schedules
- Strong diplomatic and interpersonal relationship skills; experience working with government officials and/or immunization teams at State and LGA levels.
- Extensive experience with large scale health systems strengthening interventions, particularly in the private sector
- Significant experience in strategic planning, organizational development, change facilitation and process management in the health sector
- Strong analytical skills and high level technical proficiency with Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint, with ability to use these tools to collect and analyze immunization program data.
- Ability to create well-written, succinct project reports.
- Ability to travel within and outside the state without limitation
- Good business-oriented verbal, visual and written communication skills.
- Proactive, resourceful individuals with strong analytical and communication skills, ambitious, strong problem-solver, stable, self-directed, respectful and commands network of peers to leverage knowledge
- Excellent time management and organizational skills
- Demonstrated experience in planning and execution of large scale projects including budgets and activity planning.
- Ability to commit minimum of one year to the position
- University master’s in science related degree
- Experience working in Immunization
- Experience working in public health- preferably in developing countries.
- Understanding of the local languages of the resident state
- SUBMISSION OF ONLINE APPLICATION:
- Interested individuals shall submit only electronic copies of their application (cover letter and CV) with the following steps via this e-mail address: email@example.com
- Position title: Technical Assistant to …..state of preference……..SERICC on the subject of the e-mail
- Shall indicate three states in order of preferential deployment during the application.
- E-copies of the CV/or Cover letter shall be sent through the e-mail above , only in Word or PDF format
- All online application submission should be addressed to “The Head of Human Resource” with the e-mail as stated above, not later than 12:00noon of Friday, March 23rd, 2018.
- NOTIFICATION & INVITATION FOR INTERVIEW:
All shortlisted candidates for written and oral interviews’will be notified via e-mail and text message of the next step in the interview process by the close of business on Monday, March 26th, 2018.