Position: Communications Officer for temporary appointment – Northern Education Initiative Plus
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
Creative Associates International is a dynamic, fast-growing global development firm that specializes in education, economic growth, democratic institutions and stabilization. Based in Washington, D.C., Creative has a field presence in more than 15 countries with a strong client portfolio that includes the U.S. Agency for International Development and the State Department, among others. Since its founding in 1977, Creative has earned a solid reputation among its clients and is well-regarded by competitors and partners alike.
Project Summary: The Northern Education Initiative Plus project works to improve the quality of and access to education in Northern Nigeria, equitably and sustainably.
Position Summary: The Communications Officer will manage the public affairs and information operations of the Northern Education Initiative Plus in Bauchi, Sokoto and the head office in Abuja.
Reporting & Supervision: This position is located in Abuja with frequent travel to Bauchi and Sokoto states and covers a period from June- August, 2018. The position holder reports to the Chief of Party.
- Creates and implements communications outreach activities for the dissemination of information on project activities
- Creates and implements public relations programs to release positive publicity about the program through various media.
- Advises and counsels program on public relations techniques impacting program activities including potential problems and opportunities in the various communities served.
- Promotes communication to the USAID Mission about the project for dissemination on Mission web pages or to other USAID Missions and to HQ for publication in quarterly newsletters and web.
- Writes news releases, success stories, daily reports, weekly reports, quarterly reports, and other project documents.
- Key Areas of Accountability during the Period
- With technical direction from the Chief of Party and Deputy Chief of Party, provide editorial inputs and design to the project’s third quarterly report for submission to USAID
- Organize a high profile activity within the USAID Mission to improve visibility for the project and promote recently produced community outreach videos
- Work with thematic leads to promote outreach messages using produced edutainment resources such as videos, Interactive Voice Mobile Messages, posters and radio spots
- Working closely with the media producer, produce a radio edutainment drama promoting enrollment, retention and transition in formal and non-formal schools for broadcast on radio stations in Bauchi and Sokoto states.
- Produce bi-weekly newsletters keeping stakeholders and partners of the project informed of progress and update on activities.
- Train Civil Society Organizations to use media resources and other ICT innovation for community outreach activities.
- Visit states regularly to collate success stories on the project for widespread dissemination.
- Work collaboratively with other thematic leads to provide communications support when necessary including attending events and activities.
Required Skills & Qualifications:
- Undergraduate degree (master’s degree preferred) in communications, English, journalism or related field
- Minimum 5 years proven experience in journalism, publishing, or related area.
- Ability to use standard computer and software applications: Advanced MS Word, Advanced Power Point, Advanced MS Publisher, intermediate Excel.
- Ability to work independently, within a team environment.
- Must be highly organized, able to prioritize assignments and meet deadlines.
- The ideal candidate must have a great deal of initiative and integrity, an understanding and/or interest in the work of NEI Plus Project, and a balance of creative, technical, and interpersonal skills.
- Only finalists will be, please contacted. No phone calls.
- Creative Associates International Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer: Disability/Veteran.
How to Apply:
Interested persons may send comprehensive resume with a brief cover letter as ONE MS Word document or PDF to email@example.com not later than Wednesday, 30th May, 2018. Please specify the position in the subject line of the email.