VACANCIES: SECRETARY TO THE AUTHORITY, SENIOR LEGAL OFFICER
The Nigeria Sovereign Investment Authority (“NSIA”), a corporate body established by the Nigeria Sovereign Investment Authority (Establishment, etc.) Act 2011, is mandated to manage funds in excess of budgeted hydrocarbon revenues. Its mission is to play a leading role in driving sustained economic development for the benefit of all Nigerians through building a savings base for the Nigerian people, enhancing the development of Nigeria’s infrastructure and providing stabilisation support in times of economic stress. NSIA operates three mandate funds: the Stabilisation Fund, the Future Generations Fund and the Nigeria Infrastructure Fund
The NSIA is in the process of strengthening its operations and enhancing overall capacity towards delivering its mandate. In the regard, the Authority is seeking to recruit suitably qualified, result-oriented and exceptional professionals to fill the following vacant positions:
Position: Secretary to the Authority (ES0096)
Reporting to the Chief Executive Officer and Chairman Board of Directors, the successful candidate will coordinate all Board secretariat activities and provide guidance in the implementation of the NSIA’s corporate governance framework. He/she will also provide effective administrative support in the execution of the Authority’s corporate governance policies.
Key responsibilities will be to:
(1) Issue notices of meetings of the Board and the Governing Council.
(2) Provide secretarial and administrative support to the Authority’s Board, including preparation of agenda, papers, resolutions, and minutes.
(3) Keeping records of the proceedings of the Board and the Governing Council.
(4) Monitor and ensure appropriate and timely execution of the Authority’s secretariat functions.
(5) Render all necessary secretarial services in respect of meetings and advise on compliance by the meetings within the applicable rules and regulations.
(6) Ensure the proper custody of the statutory and other books of the NSIA and also ensure that records are up-to-date.
(7) Carry out other duties as the Managing Director or the Board may, from time to time, direct.
Qualifications, Experience and Attributes
(1) A first degree in Law (L.L.B. and B.L.) and post-graduate qualification(s). Possession of ICSAN will be an advantage.
(2) A minimum of twelve (12) years company secretarial experience, five (5) of which must be as a Company Secretary.
(3) Good knowledge of leading practices in secretariat services and corporate governance.
(4) Good knowledge and understanding of the Nigerian legal system.
(5) Excellent written and oral communication, negotiation and relationship management skills.
(6) Political savvy, maturity and tact, including the ability to relate with different levels of authority within the legal sphere.
Position: Senior Legal Officer, (ES0097)
Reporting to the General Counsel, the officer will provide legal services to the Authority on matters of litigation, land/ property document perfection, contracts and other transactions that have legal implications to effectively mitigate the Authority’s exposure.
(1) Support the provision of on-going legal and regulatory advisory for operational and investment-specific matters across the organisation.
(2) Support the provision of advice of a general nature on labour, current legislation on tax, finance, investment and other matters that are relevant to the functions and objectives of the Authority.
(3) Assist with managing relationships with external solicitors and arbitrators.
(4) Monitor, report and advise on litigation claims and ensure minimal damage is sustained by the Authority.
(5) Support Interactions with relevant regulatory authorities on behalf of the NSIA and provide backstopping in all meetings with MDAs and other stakeholders on legal matters relating to the operation of NSIA or prospective investments.
(6) Use of world class standards of governance, business integrity, and environmental and social stewardship including support for Know-Your-Customer and Anti-Money Laundering procedures, and reputational management
(7) Draft and or review NSIA policies, guidelines, frameworks, communications, contracts as well as legal documentation to which NSIA is a party prior to the General Counsel’s review/sign off.
(8) Assist in the provision of general sector and investment support where applicable, drawing on international experience and effective practice
(9) Assist with legal document retention, storage and custody.
(10) Any other responsibility as shall be assigned by the General Counsel or Executive Management from time to time.
Qualifications, Experience and Attributes:
(1) A good first degree in Law (L.L.B. and B.L.) and qualified to practice in Nigeria. Relevant professional and postgraduate qualification(s) will be an advantage.
(2) A minimum of ten (10) years relevant experience, four (4) of which must have been at a strategic management level.
(3) Good knowledge and understanding of the Nigerian legal system.
(4) Excellent written and oral communication, negotiation and relationship management skills.
(5) Political savvy, maturity and tact, including the ability to relate with different levels of authority within the legal sphere.
(6) Demonstrated commitment to ethical standards and high level of integrity.
In addition, candidates for all roles must possess the following attributes:
(i) Proven leadership, negotiating and influencing skills.
(ii) Excellent networking skills, particularly relationship-building, interpersonal and communication skills.
(iii) Good understanding of the NSIA mandate, regulations and operating environment.
All positions are based in Abuja, Nigeria. The roles are open to Nigerians within and outside the country who have completed the National Youth Service Programme. Women are strongly encouraged to apply for any of the positions on offer.
How to Apply:
To apply, please quote the appropriate reference number as the subject of your e-mail and send your curriculum vitae (prepared as a Microsoft Word document, and saved with your full names) to the following email addresses;
email@example.com for Senior Legal Officer
firstname.lastname@example.org for the Secretary to the Authority
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Wednesday, 20th June, 2018.
All applications will be treated in strict confidence. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
The NSIA Act can be viewed on http://nsia.com.ng/
Nigeria Sovereign Investment Authority (NSIA)
4th Floor, Clan Place, Plot 1386 Tigris Crescent