THE FEDERAL POLYTECHNIC UKANA
IKOT EKPENE, AKWA IBOM STATE
INTERNAL AND EXTERNAL ADVERTISEMENT
VACANCY FOR THE POST OF RECTOR
Applications are invited from suitably qualified candidates for the post of RECTOR of the Polytechnic which shall be vacant on June 9, 2018.
The Federal Polytechnic, Ukana, was established on June 9, 2014. The establishment is in accordance with Federal Polytechnics Act, Decree No. 33 of 1979 and Decree No. 5 of 1993, as amended. Currently, the Polytechnic operates from a temporary Campus along Ikot Ekpene – Abak dual carriage way before Independence High School, Ukana, Essien Udim. Meanwhile the permanent/main campus is witnessing some building constructions at various stages of completion.
The Rector is the Chief Executive and Academic Officer of the Polytechnic. He/she shall be the chief exponent of the educational advancement of the Polytechnic and his/her office shall serve as the nerve centre for the coordination of the activities of various organs. The Rector sees to the day to day administration of the Polytechnic and shall ensure that the goals of the institution are met.
He is responsible to the Governing Council for the management of the human, monetary and material resources of the Polytechnic. It is also the duty of the Rector to see that the provisions of the law, statutes, ordinances and the regulations of the Polytechnic are observed and he/she may exercise such powers as may be necessary for that purpose. The Rector must, therefore, be competent at all times to advice the Council on any matter affecting the policy, finance and administration of the Polytechnic.
The success of the job will depend on his/her ability to lead, motivate and inspire administrative associations, academic and non-academic staff as well as students and other stakeholders to work towards the advancement of learning and acquisition of skills.
Qualities of the Candidate:
- The candidate must be a person of impeccable integrity with the ability to command the respect and trust of both staff and students.
- The candidate must possess the drive, initiative and foresight and must understand the intricacies and complexities of the 21st Century higher educational institution.
- The candidate must be of pleasant disposition with sound leadership qualities and must be of good physical and mental health.
- The candidate shall submit a statement on his/her vision/ mission for the Polytechnic which should not be more than one thousand (1000) words.
Qualifications and Experience:
The candidate must be distinguished scholar with outstanding academic and administrative records. Specifically, the candidate must possess the following:
- Minimum of Masters Degree in any of the thought programmes/related disciplines with not less than twenty (20) years of cognate experience in high institution of learning with at least 5 years in the Polytechnic system.
- Must not be below the rank of a Chief Lecturer.
- A proven and demonstrable ability to attract National and International research and development grants.
- Demonstrate ability to attract and retain highly skilled professional and talented staff in all categories, teaching and non-teaching.
- Demonstrate interpersonal and team building skills and the ability to build bridges between staff, students and other members of the Polytechnic Community/Stakeholders.
- Demonstrate respectable level of ICT literacy.
- Candidate must not be more than sixty (60) years at the time of appointment.
Mode of Application:
Interested applicants are required to submit fifteen (15) copies of their Curriculum Vitae, photocopies of certificates and other relevant credentials which should contain among other things:
- Name in full (Surname first) in block letters
- Date and place of birth
- State of Origin
- Local Government of Origin
- Permanent Home Address
- Present Contact Address
- Marital Status
- Educational Institutions attended with dates and qualifications obtained including members/fellowship of relevant professional bodies.
- Work experience including full details of former and present duties with dates.
- List of Publications
- Major Professional achievements, contributions including awards received.
- Names and Address of three (3) Referees. Each Referee must be contacted to forward directly to the Registrar; Confidential Report on the applicant’s character, academic and managerial competence in a properly sealed envelop marked “REFEREE/POST OF RECTOR” at the top left corner of the envelop.
- The application should be submitted in a sealed envelop marked ‘APPLICATION FOR THE POST OF RECTOR”, and forwarded to the Registrar, Federal Polytechnic, Ukana RM.B. 2014, Ikot Ekpene, Akwa Ibom State not later than 17TH JULY, 2018. Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
CHRYSANTHUS M. ASUKA FICEA, FCA