The WEST AFRICAN POWER POOL (WAPP) is a Specialized Institution of the Economic Community of West African States, (ECOWAS) established by the Authority of Head of States and Governments of ECOWAS Member States to ensure the integration of the national power system operations into a unified regional electricity market in order to provide the citizens of ECOWAS Member States with a regular, stable and reliable electricity supply at affordable costs, over the medium to long term. This aims to encourage industrialisation, improve Health and Education, Reduce Poverty, Create Employment Opportunities, etc…
The Headquarters of the WAPP General Secretariat is based in Cotonou, Republic of Benin.
The WAPP Secretariat, in view of achieving its global Vision, intends to increase its staffing by filling the following job vacancy:
Department: Department of Planning, Investment Programming and Environmental Safeguards (PIPES)
POSITION TITLE: PROJECT COORDINATOR
Position Type: International recruitment
Contract Type: Permanent Contract
Location: Cotonou, Benin Republic
Reports to: Head of Division, Planning, Projects Studies and Financing
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
The Project Coordinator’s key tasks shall be:
(1) Participating in identifying WAPP power facility projects and prioritizing their implementation;
(2) Preparing funding requests with Donors for conducting pre-investment studies of proposed power projects;
(3) Preparing the Terms of Reference (ToR) for the recruitment of Consultants for the purpose of conducting pre-investment studies and ensuring their coordination;
(4) Participating in the selection process for the Consultants in charge of carrying out the pre-investment studies;
(5) Coordinating data and information collection pertaining to the pre-investment studies in the concerned countries and/or utilities;
(6) Reviewing the reports submitted by the Consultants and preparing the relevant comments;
(7) Coordinating the release of reports on various pre-investment studies and the collection of comments with the stakeholders;
(8) Update the indicative development plans for WAPP priority projects;
(9) Ensuring the monitoring and timely delivery of pre-investment study reports;
(10) Organizing feedback meetings and coordinating s the participation of all the stakeholders to the projects;
(11) Updating information relating to the studies’ progress report in the WAPP database, as well as the funding requirements and sources of funding;
(12) Drafting quarterly activity reports and other specific activity reports on activities and status of projects under study;
(13) Organizing and actively taking part in monitoring and consultation meetings for projects at the preparation stage;
(14) Coordinating the establishment and activities of focal points within concerned utilities and/or countries;
(15) Preparing and providing presentations on the progress report of WAPP Priority Projects;
(16) Performing such other duties that may be assigned by the Head of Division, Planning, Projects Studies and Financing.
Academic and Professional Qualifications Required
Professional Years’ Experience:
Knowledge, Skills and Skills:
Abilities Required: The applicant shall have:
Particular & Application Information
(a) Particular Conditions of Work:
Possible extended working hours and under pressure
Candidates should not be over 50 years old at the point of recruitment.
The position is on Grade P4 of the WAPP Secretariat Pay Scale. The starting point will depend on the qualifications and experience of the incumbent. The WAPP Secretariat offers a competitive compensation packages comparable to those offered by similar regional/international organizations.
(d) Equal Opportunities:
Applicants must be a WAPP Member State Citizen. WAPP is an equal opportunity employer that offers equal chances to men and women. Qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply. Both internal and external candidates are encouraged to apply
Applications for the position shall be received from 3, December, 2018 to 1, February, 2019 included. The Closing date for this position is 1 February, 2019 at 06:00pm, Benin local time (GMT+1).