Applications required suitably qualified candidates to fill the position:
POSITION: POLICY ADVISOR
REPORTS TO: COUNTRY DIRECTOR
LOCATION: ABUJA, NIGERIA
The Policy Advisor II provides technical support for policy and advocacy initiatives to Increase access to safe abortion services and ensure specific policy activities and key deliverables are met. This position supports the work with stakeholders and policy makers at the national level to ensure access to abortion for women is not compromised, The Advisor II will also assist with implementing strategies to Improve the enabling environment in support of women’s reproductive rights with a focus on abortion care.
- Provides oversight in planning and budgeting for policy activities, monitors the implementation of activities to meet the planned results;
- In coordination with other office staff, provides policy technical leadership as needed for global policy unit and national policy activities
- Maintains relationships with government officials and other regional organizations to assist with Ipas’ mission by organizing sensitization workshops and providing on-going information to regional and international documents.
- Supports fundraising initiatives for policy activities by contributing to donor proposals and preparation or review of donor reports
- Drafts policy briefs, shadow letters or reports for Influencing policy and Increasing access in safe abortion service;
- Builds and nurtures existing networks and partnerships of organizations and institutions to support Ipas’ mission and legal changes on abortion
- Works to prevent adverse impact on access to safe abortion and family planning services
- Represents the organization at various national and international meetings to ensure Incorporation of Ipas objectives into the agenda for discussion as needed.
- Works to galvanize support in holding government accountable to women’s reproductive rights commitments at national, regional and international meetings.
- Reports to the Country Director in reference to Policy programs efforts and needs, management of programs, and other project Issues
- Works with NC Global and Country office team members in reference to workshop logistics, implementation of activities, and program needs
- Works with finance unit in reference to budgets, grants and other financial issues
- Manages relationships with external entities including partner organizations, coalitions, vendors and consultants
- Performs other tasks as may be assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant field
- 5-7 years of experience
- Demonstrated experience in program planning and management
- Master’s degree in relevant field
- Demonstrated experience working in non -profit organization
- Established relationships with government and non -government organizations including public health organizations
- Working knowledge of budget oversight
- A Strategist and an innovator-Yon are creative, innovative and a strategic thinker. You have a strong Interest in health-sector approaches to development and a proven ability to produce results
- Simplify- You quickly distill complexity to essential and ample concepts and approaches
- Lean- You bring awareness and commitment to doing work effectively and efficiently. We want people who will see a way to streamline or Improve a process and who won’t hesitate to share their ideas in making it happen
(1) Communication & Collaboration -Actively listens and communicates-connects easily with her/his team and gains their trust and respect Works well across all organizational teams. Demonstrates clear and concise information and idea sharing
(2) Capacity Builder – You have experience in building institution, local technical, management and leadership capacity
(3) Decisive Risk Management & Problem Solving – Anticipate challenges and find solutions. Seeks the necessary inputs, analyzes the data at hand. Identifies potential risks and takes a decision. Can move forward even when information is Imperfect Documents analysis, intentions and desired outcome of key decisions. Reviews the impact and consequences and openly learns from mistakes
HOW TO APPLY:
All interested applicants should apply through the Ipas’s career website within 2 weeks after publication (7 February 2019 );
Please note that only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.