Our client is A PUBLIC- PRIVATE – PARTNERSHIP NIGERIAN LICENSED UNIVERSITY committed to expanding the frontiers of human knowledge through leadership in teaching, learning and research. The University seeks to recruit a top of the class individual with a proven entrepreneurial and international perspective acumen and with the requisite skills and experience to fill the position of its President.
Reporting to the Board of Trustees and based in Ibusa Ugwashi-Uku, Delta State, Nigeria, the President will be the Chief Administrative Officer of the University and will support the Board of Trustees and its mandate; and will be responsible for ensuring that the University operates within the policy and strategy framework established by the Board. The President will head the Governing Council and provide overall leadership and direction to the University as well as provide advice and counsel to the executive management of the University in all matters, provide effective strategic leadership to support the University and its faculty, staff, and students and ensure the University’s finances are robust and sustainable.
The successful candidate shall have a successful senior leadership and administrative experience gained as a President or Vice President (or similar role) in a well-respected tertiary education institution and preferably abroad. Candidate will possess a PhD or equivalent credential combined with a successful record of over 15 years. They bring strong strategic thinking skills with the ability to work with others to set priorities and establish strategies to move a complex organisation forward in establishing and realising its vision and commitments.
The ideal candidate will
- Embody and enhance the unique mission and values of the University;
- As Chief Administrative Officer, lead the academic development of the University in learning, teaching and research such that it achieves the highest standards of excellence as set out in current and future University plans;
- Maintain an excellent relationship with the Board of Trustees, the Governing Council and the Senate, and provide visible and active leadership of the University’s Executive Team;
- Be a strong and credible external advocate, representing and promoting the University’s interests regionally, nationally and internationally with academic and industry partners and with the government;
- Ensure the University’s finances are robust and sustainable, and act as a catalyst for identifying, securing and diversifying income streams – through mutually beneficial collaborations and partnerships;
- Lead on the maintenance and development of technological innovations and trends in learning and teaching, ensuring the University maintains its competitive edge in this sphere;
- Pioneer degree programs in emerging fields not found at any other Nigerian universities;
- Adopt a Euro-American educational tradition and curriculum inspired by industry needs;
- Ensure that the structures, reporting systems, policies and culture are in place to allow the University to achieve the highest standards of legal and regulatory compliance and corporate governance in all areas; and
- Champion equality, diversity and inclusiveness, and ensure they remain integral to the University’s strategy, culture and community.
The areas of knowledge, experience and personal attributes given below are not exhaustive, but highlight some of the most important qualities sought.
Knowledge, skills and experience:
- Demonstrable leadership, strategic management and operational experience gained at a senior level in large and complex organisations within higher education or in environments that have affinities and synergies with academia;
- The requisite knowledge and empathy to operate credibly within a distinctive, mission driven, collegial and high-impact academic environment, engendering the respect of both internal and external stakeholders;
- An intellectual leader with strategic acumen and problem-solving skills, with the ability to formulate clear decisions that consider the University community’s aspirations and command its support;
- Proven commercial and financial astuteness in managing complex budgets and resources, demonstrating entrepreneurial acumen; a track record of diversifying income streams and a willingness to take calculated risks;
- A track record in directing and managing innovative change and continuous improvement, ensuring excellent organisational performance and outcomes and to provide strategic leadership and drive which results in:
- Continually improving standards in teaching and learning;
- Achievement of student recruitment targets;
- Meeting the requirements of the inspection agencies, resulting in good or outstanding inspection judgements;
- Outstanding ambassadorial and interpersonal skills, with experience of engaging at all levels across a range of diverse stakeholders and partnerships;
- Politically astute, with a sound understanding of and ability to influence higher education policies and engage effectively with governments and senior civil servants- especially on policies specifically affecting the University;
- A strong appreciation and understanding of the global nature of higher education and evidence of both national and international networks;
- An excellent understanding of blended learning approaches and digital technologies, and an awareness of opportunities offered to digital learners and which meets the needs of both individuals and employers;
- An understanding and awareness of the needs and demographics of Nigerian and West African students and the commitment to ensure an excellent student experience for all benchmarked only to international standards;
- Provide the strategic leadership and drive, leading to a good or outstanding curriculum which meets all stakeholders needs, national curriculum policy and results in increased recruitment and outstanding outcomes; and
- Undertake an annual curriculum review, benchmarked against competitors, national and regional policy developments, labour market information and other information from key stakeholders, leading to the implementation of appropriate curriculum development plans; and the introduction of new academic programmes;
- An unwavering commitment to the mission, values and ethos of the University, underpinned by high personal integrity and a strong commitment to the promotion of equality, diversity and inclusion at all levels throughout the institution;
- A proven ability for understanding of and commitment to teaching, learning and research and the purposes of higher education;
- A proven ability for strong understanding of statutory compliance frameworks and external contractor management structures;
- First-class communication skills and a collaborative leadership approach, with high levels of self-awareness;
- A proven ability to empower staff and students, and to build diverse and distributed teams across the University;
- A proven ability to represent the University nationally and internationally at all levels with the key constituents of the University and its partner networks;
- A proven ability to build motivation, trust and respect throughout the University community – staff, trade unions, students, and alumni across the faculties and professional services;
- A proven ability to build consensus and a sense of shared purpose and direction of travel within a geographically dispersed/Virtual organisation;
- Demonstrable creativity and a commitment to future-proofing the institution in an ever-changing environment;
- Excellent written skills with great attention to detail as proven through effective self-assessment;
- Excellent knowledge of best practices in corporate governance, with particular emphasis on accountability, transparency and probity;
- High sense of integrity, a strong moral character capable of inspiring and maintaining moral discipline among staff and students; and
- Hands on experience in ensuring effective utilization of limited resources for maximum public good.
METHOD OF APPLICATION
All applications must be submitted on or before 26, February, 2019. Please visit https://kpmgng.avature.net/careers to complete the online application for the Vacancy.
Crucially important for any application to be reviewed, is to submit a comprehensive resume along with a covering letter setting out your interest in the role and a detailed description as to how you match the required position’s criteria, knowledge and skills as well as giving examples which demonstrate the said Personal Attributes. Also include in a separate document the names and addresses of three referees. Referees will not be approached until the final stages and not without prior permission from candidates.