MEDIA TRUST LIMITED, publishers of DAILY TRUST NEWSPAPER and other titles is desirous of recruiting competent, self-motivated and result-oriented candidate to fill the below position:
POSITION: BUSINESS EDITOR
The ideal candidate will lead a team of reporters to produce cutting edge reports and analysis of business events, trends and personalities. The Job holder will perform a variety of editorial duties, such as editing, laying out, and revising content of written materials, in preparation for publication.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Lead the business team to plan and execute effective coverage of local and international business stories.
- Prepare, rewrite and edit business stories, reports, interviews and features
- Supervising and monitoring of business reporters.
- Plan the contents of business pages in accordance to the Media Trust style and editorial policy.
- Verify facts, dates, and statistics, using standard reference sources.
- Review and approve news story submitted by reporters, prior to publication.
- Develop stories and content ideas, considering readers and audience appeal.
- Answer to different title editors who commission on the business desk for specific stories/analysis.
- Assign topics, events and stories to individual reporters for coverage.
- Read, evaluate and edit manuscripts or other materials submitted for publication and confer with the Editor Daily Trust regarding changes in content or publication.
- Monitor news-gathering operations to ensure utilisation of all news sources, such as press releases, telephone contacts, radio, television, wire services, and other reporters.
- Meet frequently with business departments to strategize on revenue generations to the company;
- Select local, state, national, and international news items received from wire services, based on assessment of items’ significance and interest value;
- Any other duty assigned.
QUALIFICATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Minimum of a degree in Mass Communication, Journalism Economics or Business, A master’s degree in Economics will be an advantage.
- Minimum of 8 years’ proven journalism experience with at least 4 years at a middle editorial position.
- Membership of relevant professional bodies is important.
SKILLS AND COMPETENCIES
- Rich professional experience in editorial work;
- Ability to reduce complex ideas to simple and easy to follow stories
- Understands the structure and content of the English Language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Knowledgeable about media production, communication, and dissemination techniques and methods. This includes alternative ways to inform and entertain via written, oral, and visual media;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills;
- Has knowledge of business, financial, government regulations, executive orders, agency rules, and the business politics.
- Computer literate and knowledgeable about Microsoft Office Suite
- Has a business drive, ability to work in a fast-paced environment, is flexible and has a “hands-on” approach.
- Digital proficiency to be able to produce stories for online
MODE OF APPLICATION:
Interested candidates who satisfy the above requirements should complete a form on our portal at “career.dailytrust.com” and attach a CV within two (2) weeks of this publication (20 December, 2019).