POSITION: MULTIMEDIA JOURNALIST
CONTRACT TYPE Fixed term
Across the globe, the media environment is facing an unprecedented transformation brought by advancement in mobile and digital technologies. Africa is one of the fastest developing news markets in the world with improved internet connectivity and rising middle class.
Media Trust is one of the leading players in the Nigerian media industry reaching millions of people across our print and digital platforms. We are also investing heavily in broadcast as part of our expansion plans. Our weekly Hausa language publication (Aminiya) is one of the most read newspapers in the country.
we are looking for a multimedia journalist with a track record of reporting and writing in Hausa and English. The ideal candidate should have a vast understanding of Nigeria, its media market, audience, and digital trends.
- Your main responsibilities are to generate, write, edit and publish compelling and original multimedia content across all our platforms in English or Hausa.
- Covering breaking news and live events in person or in collaboration with reporters in the field
- Translating content from English to Hausa and vice-versa contribute in generating ideas and planning for coverage as well as collaborating with other sections within the newsroom to ensure effective use of resources Researching, scripting and packaging stories that appeal to young audience across platforms
- Reversioning content for English platforms and external partners
- Sourcing and interviewing potential news sources and high-profile guests
- Working with reporters to commission and write engaging features and news analysis
- Monitoring trending topics on social media and writing stories that wiil appeal to digital audience
- Working in collaboration with Aminiya editor or other line editors on any task that may be assigned to you (For Hausa section)
- Working in collaboration with Daily Trust editor or other line editors on any task that may be assigned to you (For English section)
- Preparing interview briefs and sourcing background information on any topic as may be assigned to you.
QUALIFICATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Minimum of a Degree in Mass Communication, English or Social sciences.
- Minimum of 2 years’ experience.
SKILLS AND COMPETENCIES
- Proficiency in Hausa and English
- For those applying for the English section, Hausa language is not compulsory but an added advantage.
- Sound editorial judgment
- Knowledge of social media and creative ways of using it to drive engagement
- Strong journalism and field reporting experience
- Ability to work as a team player and respond to tight deadline
- Familiarity with the Nigerian media landscape
- Knowledge of any audio, video or photo editing software programme will be a valuable addition.
MODE OF APPLICATION
Interested candidates who satisfy the above requirements should complete a form on our portal at career.dailytrust.com and attach a CV within two (2) weeks of this, publication (7, February 2019)