PROJECT MANAGER – COVID19 RESPONSE
Closing date: 17 May 2020
Danish Refugee Council, one of the world’s leading humanitarian NGOs, is currently looking for a highly qualified and motivated candidate to take up the position of Project Manager – COVID19 Response in Maiduguri Nigeria in a highly collaborative and emulating work environment.
About the job
To specifically ensure planning and delivery of all components of DRC Nigeria COVID19 response project funded by OFDA and facilitate a coherent approach to DRC Nigeria COVID19 overall response. **
Your main duties and responsibilities will be:
- Serve as DRC Nigeria focal point for activities related to COVID-19 preparedness and response.
- The COVID-19 Project Manager will attend relevant meetings at national and/or field level, collect feedback and provide input and guidance on national guidelines; ensure good coordination between the different DRC staff and teams involved in COVID-19 preparedness and response activities; provide strategic direction, in collaboration with the Country Director, Head of Programme, WASH and Shelter Coordinator, other partners and State-based health working group on DRC engagement in COVID-19 preparedness activities; coordinate and implement COVID-19 preparedness activities and help coordinate responses through health IPC programming in static project sites; finally, he/she will support emergency response interventions specific to COVID-19 response.
- Develop and maintain appropriate communication with the teams and other relevant stakeholders.
- Participate and proactively engage in COVID-19 preparedness coordination meetings and working groups at the national and, field level. Provide summary notes off all external meetings for relevant internal stakeholders.
- Develop and deliver training on COVID-19 preparedness to DRC staff.
- Proactively network with clusters and health and WASH agencies to identify opportunities to collaborate.
- Review and update relevant Project Coordination Agreements and Memoranda of Understanding.
- Ensure clear internal coordination within the project teams and other support teams (Logistics, Human Resources, Finance, Base).
- Provide updates during various meetings such as advisor’s and management, or any other ad hoc meetings.
- In coordination with the Country Staff Health Focal Point, assess the need for and contribute towards the design and implementation of in-country COVID-19-related staff health protocols and procedures.
- Manage COVID-19 preparedness activities, alongside the relevant field PM and PC, in order to meet the project objectives within budget and allotted time frame.
- React quickly to crisis and organize +/- implement appropriate assessments and responses.
- Contribute to the development and implementation of a COVID-19 preparedness and response strategy.
- Continuously monitor and supervise COVID-19 preparedness and response activities, evaluating progress through outputs and impact. Provide input into the integration of beneficiary participation and accountability.
- Ensure accurate and timely reporting of activities according to applicable timeframes and formats.
- Participate in the development of interventions and new proposals, linked to the assessed needs and gaps.
- Reach out to other actors to find those who can respond to needs which go beyond resources of DRC.
Monitoring and Evaluation
- Support in developing and implementing the project monitoring and evaluation plan, and timely submission of reports and other document requirements.
- Provide feedback on project implementation modality and assist in achieving maximum efficiency in project delivery.
- Undertake regular participatory monitoring and verification visits to ensure adequate progress against action plans, outputs and ensuring that quality elements are signed off. Provide advice on any corrective action necessary.
- Train relevant staff on various aspects of COVID-19 preparedness, IPC, etc., in line with established SOPs.
- Support recruitment and work of IPC Training Consultant
- Compile and manage, and make available, relevant information related to COVID-19 for staff access.
- Support development of DRC- (tailored) training curriculum, PowerPoint slides, IEC materials etc.
- Quality Management/Project Design
- Responsible for ensuring project implementation is according to DRC, donor, Nigeria and international guidelines, in conjunction with in-country Advisors.
- Contribute towards setting objectives of emergency COVID-19-related health/WASH assessments and interventions, monitoring progress, etc.
- Decide on new activities and new project sites and provide input regarding future plans and changes.
- Improve the quality of the project, including assessments, monitoring and evaluation, implementation of Core Humanitarian Standards and protection mainstreaming.
- Work with the logistics and supply chain PM to ensure stock, purchase requests, cash forecasts and movement requests are submitted.
- Support the logistics activities of health and WASH staff, in relation to the purchasing of COVID-19 related supplies, etc. Liaise with the health, WASH and logistics staff to ensure that quality items are procured, transported, stored, etc.
- Support the Area Manager in ensuring proper social distancing and other preparedness measures are implemented at the area of operations.
- Management of direct reports (including development, performance and recruitment)
- Support and mentor staff members by identifying clear deliverables and providing training
- Support and monitor programme staff planning of activities
The responsibilities listed in the JD are not exhaustive and may be readjusted according to operational needs but will remain in line with the overall purpose of the role.
To be successful in this role we expect you to demonstrate your leadership and capacity for this position which is key for timely and qualitative aid delivery. Moreover, we also expect the following:
- Bachelor Degree in Public Health related field or another appropriate degree with a combination of working experience in public health outbreaks such as Ebola, Lassa Fever, Cholera and etc.
- At least 3 years’ experience in planning, implementing and evaluating emergency-related projects.
- Thorough knowledge of health emergencies operations and implementation.
- Good IT skills (especially MS Office).
- Highly self-driven while striving for perfection under minimum supervision.
- Experience working in emergency response with NGOs, preferably in a humanitarian context.
- Hands-on experience in Project Planning and Management.
- Knowledge of other sectors (WASH, Protection, Livelihoods) is an asset
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’ five core competencies:
Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
Demonstrating integrity: You uphold and promote the highest standards of ethical and professional conduct in relation to our values and Code of Conduct, including safeguarding against sexual exploitation, abuse and harassment.
Contract length: 11 months
Designation of Duty Station: Non-family duty station
Start date: 1st June 2020.
Salary and conditions will be in accordance with Danish Refugee Council’s Terms of Employment for Expatriates; please refer to drc.ngo under Vacancies
How to apply
All applicants must upload a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages) in English. Applications sent by email will not be considered.
Closing date for applications: 17/05/2020
Please note that applications will be reviewed continuously and interviews will be planned as soon as a suitable candidate is identified – so early submission of applications is encouraged. DRC has the right to close the vacancy once a suitable candidate is identified.
For further information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult our website drc.ngo.